A question about a recipe: Cheesy Kale Scones

Eeaddb07 a55c 469b bcf0 a25215c1bf35  dsc 0698

I have a question about the recipe "Cheesy Kale Scones" from Posie Harwood. I would love to make these ahead of time and bake them off the day of a brunch. What would be the best point at which to freeze them? And then would there be any other modifications? Thank you!

asked by caitlin almost 3 years ago

Posie (Harwood) Brien

Definitely a great recipe to freeze ahead! Just make the recipe and shape the scones, then freeze them once you have shaped them. I find its easier to make slightly smaller scones when freezing them. Usually I put the shaped scones on a baking sheet directly in the freezer for about 45 minutes, then transfer the frozen scones to a ziplock bag and put them back in the freezer. You'll need to add a minute or two onto the baking time, but otherwise no modifications. They can go straight from freezer to oven without thawing. Good luck!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Just piggybacking off of Posie's wonderful answer, I find that scones actually bake BETTER when they've been frozen. They hold their shape better and the resting time makes for a softer crumb. Shaped scones are clearly easier to freeze, but I've also been known to roll scones/biscuits out to a rectangle, freeze the rectangle and then cut the individual scones. It makes for better presentation when displaying them for sale.