Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cheesy Kale Scones

Eeaddb07 a55c 469b bcf0 a25215c1bf35  dsc 0698

I have a question about the recipe "Cheesy Kale Scones" from Posie Harwood. I would love to make these ahead of time and bake them off the day of a brunch. What would be the best point at which to freeze them? And then would there be any other modifications? Thank you!

asked by caitlin over 1 year ago
1e4d7b52 fd4f 4798 ae19 d0f715768358  ry 400

Definitely a great recipe to freeze ahead! Just make the recipe and shape the scones, then freeze them once you have shaped them. I find its easier to make slightly smaller scones when freezing them. Usually I put the shaped scones on a baking sheet directly in the freezer for about 45 minutes, then transfer the frozen scones to a ziplock bag and put them back in the freezer. You'll need to add a minute or two onto the baking time, but otherwise no modifications. They can go straight from freezer to oven without thawing. Good luck!

B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Just piggybacking off of Posie's wonderful answer, I find that scones actually bake BETTER when they've been frozen. They hold their shape better and the resting time makes for a softer crumb. Shaped scones are clearly easier to freeze, but I've also been known to roll scones/biscuits out to a rectangle, freeze the rectangle and then cut the individual scones. It makes for better presentation when displaying them for sale.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.