A question about a recipe: Cheesy Kale Scones

I have a question about the recipe "Cheesy Kale Scones" from Posie Harwood. I would love to make these ahead of time and bake them off the day of a brunch. What would be the best point at which to freeze them? And then would there be any other modifications? Thank you!

• Posted by: caitlin
  • October 1, 2015
Eeaddb07 a55c 469b bcf0 a25215c1bf35  dsc 0698
Recipe question for: Cheesy Kale Scones

1 Comment

Posie (Harwood) Brien
Posie (Harwood) Brien October 1, 2015

Definitely a great recipe to freeze ahead! Just make the recipe and shape the scones, then freeze them once you have shaped them. I find its easier to make slightly smaller scones when freezing them. Usually I put the shaped scones on a baking sheet directly in the freezer for about 45 minutes, then transfer the frozen scones to a ziplock bag and put them back in the freezer. You'll need to add a minute or two onto the baking time, but otherwise no modifications. They can go straight from freezer to oven without thawing. Good luck!

PieceOfLayerCake October 1, 2015

Just piggybacking off of Posie's wonderful answer, I find that scones actually bake BETTER when they've been frozen. They hold their shape better and the resting time makes for a softer crumb. Shaped scones are clearly easier to freeze, but I've also been known to roll scones/biscuits out to a rectangle, freeze the rectangle and then cut the individual scones. It makes for better presentation when displaying them for sale.