Bevi

There is a foolproof recipe in The Bakery Lane Soup Bowl Cookbook that I used to make every week, back in my bread baking days. The loaves were always delicious. For 2 loaves, 1/2 cup molasses was added. 1/2 cup molasses = almost 8 tablespoons. Not an answer to your question, but a comparison.

BakersFancy

It would depend on the type of molasses you've used I would assume. A lighter molasses would not result in a darker color such as you experienced.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Yes, not all molasses are created equal. If you can ask the author which she used for hers, that's helpful. I like to use molasses like a seasoning agent - I put it in, dash by glug to taste. depending on the kind, it can be too strong & overpower all other ingredients.