A question about a recipe: Anadama Bread

I have a question about the recipe "Anadama Bread" from Posie Harwood. 5Tblspoons seems like quite a lot of molasses, my bread looks quite dark not like golden corn, what have i done wrong?

674785b3 9593 430d 8d23 acfac234836c  dsc 0661
Recipe question for: Anadama Bread

Bevi
Bevi October 2, 2015

There is a foolproof recipe in The Bakery Lane Soup Bowl Cookbook that I used to make every week, back in my bread baking days. The loaves were always delicious. For 2 loaves, 1/2 cup molasses was added. 1/2 cup molasses = almost 8 tablespoons. Not an answer to your question, but a comparison.

BakersFancy
BakersFancy October 7, 2015

It would depend on the type of molasses you've used I would assume. A lighter molasses would not result in a darker color such as you experienced.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon October 7, 2015

Yes, not all molasses are created equal. If you can ask the author which she used for hers, that's helpful. I like to use molasses like a seasoning agent - I put it in, dash by glug to taste. depending on the kind, it can be too strong & overpower all other ingredients.