A question about a recipe: Brazilian Cheesy Bread

I have a question about the recipe "Brazilian Cheesy Bread" from Hannah Petertil. Can all-purpose flour be used in lieu of tapioca flour?

• Posted by: Callie
  • October 2, 2015
Fe6231a0 b3bd 45ba 881b 229b586b8656  2015 0908 cheesy bread james ransom 026
Recipe question for: Brazilian Cheesy Bread

1 Comment

PieceOfLayerCake October 2, 2015

Unfortunately, if you're looking for authentic pão de queijo, particularly in texture, the tapioca or cassava flour is essential. You could try subbing it out for flour, but it will not be the same.

Jan Weber
Jan Weber October 3, 2015

Yes, this is a difficult thing to sub to get the authentic springy texture of real pão de queijo. I would use cornstarch instead of tapioca/cassava flour, but you will have to adjust the cooking time (or possibly temperature) to make sure the starch completely gelatinizes. Cassava takes less time to cook than cornstarch. You might also try sweet rice flour used to make mochi and other Japanese 'wagashi' confectionery, but again you would have to experiment with the cooking time/temp/moisture content, but rice flour has been used as a substitute for cassava somewhat frequently.