A question about a recipe: Lentil Meatballs with Indian Fenugreek Sauce

7e654b39 06b5 426c a127 7b8b7b878df9  2015 0922 lentil meatballs with indian fenugreek sauce alpha smoot 311

I have a question about the recipe "Lentil Meatballs with Indian Fenugreek Sauce" from feastingathome. Could this be served over rice or what that be a bit much in the grain department?

asked by Emily Love about 3 years ago

I don't see what the problem is.

Lentils are mostly vegetable protein. Grains are mostly vegetable carbohydrates.

Here in America, this is a classic combo known as rice & beans.

Many other cultures have similar dishes. The Japanese have natto (fermented soy beans) and rice.

Not a big deal.

For me personally, it would overload me with starch. I prefer to have legumes or rice, but not both. That's a very personal thing, but legumes and rice are very common in the vegan and vegetarian world.

Indian lentils are often served with rice or flatbreads, so rice would be fine. Also, a vegetarian combination of legumes and grain gives a more nutritionally complete protein than either alone. Last, the original recipe has no grains, so, no, I don't think adding rice would be too much.

Yes, many cultures combine legumes and starch. Another very commonly served dish is falafel which is a deep-fried chickpea fritter often presented in a pita (a wheat flour based flatbread).

My guess is that there are tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of other legume+starch dishes on this planet, some of which trace their origins back to the earliest days of agriculture.

Emily Love

awesome thanks so much everyone! going to give it a try.

boymeetsgirlmeetsfood

We think rice would be absolutely fine with this dish. I'm Indian, and most often have dahl (made of black, red or yellow lentils) served alongside rice- lentils and rice as a combo is very common in Indian cooking.

Emily Love

I wanted to post for anyone thinking about making this in the future - for me with the quinoa and rice it was too much grain going on (which is really what I was referring to in my original question, not the lentil component). If/when I make this again I would probably leave out the quinoa as I don't really find it adds anything to the meatballs. However they are delicious and super filling! I would definitely recommend making :)