A question about a recipe: Pumpkin Mush

D406f661 1c5f 45c4 b3db 81aad8168b6c  pumpkin mush 3

I have a question about the recipe "Pumpkin Mush" from fiveandspice. This recipe sounds so good but I am alergic to corn. Can I substitute the corn with coconut flour? I know coconut flour tolerates large amounts of liquids. How much flour would I subsitute for conr?

asked by Teresa58 about 3 years ago

I don't know about the coconut flour.
But the recipe calls for cornmeal which - even when cooked - has more texture and chew than straight flour. This makes me think of two other foods of similar density which might work as substitutes (if, of course, you are able to eat them):
*wheat berries
*kasha (buckwheat groats).
Look for them in natural foods stores or section of regular grocery, and use package ratios on liquid-to-berries or liquid-to-groats ratio to adjust the pumpkin mush recipe as needed.

Teresa58 - ok you also can't have wheat. About buckwheat you may already know it is neither wheat nor any kind of grain. Botanically, it is a grass. Maybe ok for you to eat. If yes, look at recipes for it. Many lean heavily to Japan, Russia and Eastern Europe - pancakes, stir fries with onion and mushroom, bread, noodles.

You can also sub semolina or something like Cream of Wheat for the cornmeal. It has a similar texture to cornmeal when cooked.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

I agree with the other two answers, though wheat berries or kasha would have to cook for longer. If you can't have wheat and really want to try the coconut flour, I would say heat the wet ingredients, and then stir in a little coconut flour at a time and see how it responds and stop as soon as you have a porridge texture (or a little before because it will probably keep soaking up liquid). Based on how much liquid coconut flour can absorb, my guess would be you'd only need a few spoonfuls, but that is completely just a guess. I don't really know how it would work.

Teresa58

Thank you so much all for these suggestions -all very helpful. This last one on adding the coconut flour a bit at a time might be my way to go as also have sensitivity to wheat. I will try this very soon and will let you know how it turns out. Again, thank you so much for your input.