A question about a recipe: Dad's Favorite Seafood Stew

I have a question about the recipe "Dad's Favorite Seafood Stew" from inpatskitchen. This recipe is just what I was looking for for an outdoor pre-halloween party this weekend. Can this stew be kept warm in a crockpot for the afternoon? I might substitute lobster meat for some of the fish. Thanks!

A6022657 cd16 47ec 8d78 63f717d869f7  seafood stew
Recipe question for: Dad's Favorite Seafood Stew

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen October 20, 2015

Hi Tessa! Lobster meat would be wonderful! My only concern is that the seafood would become what I call "rubbery" with all that heat and could ruin the stew.

Cav
Cav October 20, 2015

A crock pot of seafood stew left to stay warm throughout an afternoon is the absolute last thing I would consider eating. Not only would I expect the fish to be very very over cooked to mush, I would be concerned about it sitting in that food born illness danger zone. It's not really a safe thing to do.

However, if you'll have access to refrigeration, what you could conceivably do is this:

Gently poach the fish you're using in fish stock. Chill it down rapidly and refrigerate. Make the liquid part of the stew as the recipe says (using that fish stock you poached in). Keep the liquid part warm and so when someone wants a bowl they get the fish from the fridge and pour over the warm liquid. This should heat the fish happily without it needing to cook or sit and wreck in a crock pot.