A question about a recipe: Short Rib Chili

C8cda837 b057 49f6 8b21 f932a9a42b57  food52 02 07 12 8078

I have a question about the recipe "Short Rib Chili" from lastnightsdinner. Has anyone used black beans in this recipe instead of red? Did it work? I would like to make the chili for Halloween and need black beans to make an impression :)

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 3 years ago

I haven't made this exact recipe with black beans but I have substituted them in other chiles and they worked fine. Their taste is not identical, but enough like red beans to work well (both are meaty - if you'll pardon the expression - and strong, not bland or neutral like some other beans).
Just one suggestion: the black beans remind me of some Brazilian dishes, where oranges are used as garnish. They might work well here, for both color and taste.

p.s. if you're using the black beans bc of color and Halloween, the orange slice or orange section garnish would also be seasonal...

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Nancy, you read my mind here -- I am thinking of garnishing the chili with roasted pumpkin cubes and avocados :)

I've made this chili as written twice and I thought both times that it would be delicious with black beans. It's really a nice chili. The second time I made it, I used some chipotles in Adobe because I forgot I had used my last chipotle chili. It was even better with the extra oomph. I cooked it in the slow cooker both times. I'm hungry for it now, so it's on the menu for this week.