🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cast-Iron Skillet Cornbread

D87e3560 16fa 40cd a6c2 dcfe04ef3d12  2015 1022 cast iron skillet cornbread 019 james ransom

I have a question about the recipe "Cast-Iron Skillet Cornbread" from boozeandsusan. I need to make this recipe without eggs or dairy (butter is okay). I was going to sub. a vinegar and almond milk mixture. Will that work? I also noticed that this has no flour in it, but a lot of the other cornbread recipes do. How does the flour affect the cornbread?

asked by Kayla about 1 year ago
Ee6e1f61 c2e2 48b1 b500 bb90cc2c5b83  itsme

A vinegar+milk sub will be fine in this for buttermilk, you need the acid to activate the baking soda but the milk proteins aren't really doing much else in this recipe. The bigger problem is going to be the eggs. Those are the main structure to this bread.
You noticed the lack of flour. Usually what that does in corn bread is make it more "bread"-like, and helps it hold together. The gluten that wheat flour has helps those cornbreads with cohesion. This recipe compensates some for that with the additional eggs. Without them it would be a crumbly mess.

To make this without eggs, you'll want to use a "structural" replacement, like flax and water or silken tofu. (Other replacements like Baking Soda+Vinegar or Banana replicate the fluffiness or moistness of eggs, neither of which are really what you need here.) Adding 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of flour will help as well. I would add it a bit at a time until you have a nice, thick batter.

Agree with the silken tofu as an egg replacement. I find it works well in all sorts of baking (cakes, breads, pancakes). I measure out same volume of tofu as recipe calls for in eggs (e.g., 2 oz for average large egg), buzz it in blender or processor, mix with wets and continue with recipe.

25438297 7c5f 449f 85c8 6d14e78bbcc4  susan.streit
boozeandsusan

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Kayla, I think that a vinegar + almond milk mixture would likely work but are you omitting the eggs as well? This recipe is a little forgiving as it's baked in a skillet, which gives and holds its shape, but since it does lack flour it makes for a very crumbly bread. The gluten in the flour is a protein that creates elasticity in dough and structure in breads and baked goods. Are you trying to make the bread completely vegan?