A question about a recipe: Martha Stewart's Macaroni and Cheese

1253c96e cde3 44e2 8e7b 205bc80ff62f  092711 food52 88

I have a question about the recipe "Martha Stewart's Macaroni and Cheese" from Genius Recipes. If I wanted to freeze this recipe for thanksgiving, would I bake it first and then freeze it, or freeze it prior to baking? Thank you!

asked by caitlin almost 3 years ago

I've done it both ways and had good results.
However, Cooks Illustrated Magazine (ATK) recommends in its 2004 recipe for classic mac & cheese that the best way to freeze it includes:
1) Cook pasta (& optional veg, in their recipe but not Martha Stewart one).
2) Shred any extra cheese you are adding.
3) Mix sauce & all.
4) Freeze w/out further cooking.
5) Defrost or MW straight from freezer.

advice is maybe from WashPo 2012 schematic on mix & match Mac & cheese, migrated to cooks illustrated recipe in my notes.
credit where credit due.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I've done it both ways and vastly prefer freezing unbaked mac and cheese.