🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Little Mushroom Pinwheels

0ad4988e 3ee3 4b35 8c83 0733b0e98f4c  2013 1217 cp little mushroom pinwheels 003 new

I have a question about the recipe "Little Mushroom Pinwheels" from inpatskitchen. If I want to freeze this, will it work if I freeze after slicing? Or will the filing start to fall out? I'd like to be able to throw these in the oven before our Thanksgiving guests arrive.

asked by Hemz7781 almost 2 years ago

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I think it would be best to freeze the logs whole and when ready to bake, just slightly thaw them before cutting..although I suppose you could cut them, place on your baking sheet, wrap well and freeze. I've never tried this though..

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

inpatskitchen would know best about her recipe, but I can say that I've made many puff pastry pinwheels and palmiers, with various fillings, and frozen them sliced, ready to pop in the oven (defrosted shortly before baking, or honestly, sometimes not at all!) Always works great and makes game day very easy.

inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Thanks amysarah! Great knowing it works!

Forgot to mention, I freeze them naked (the pastry, not me) then do the egg wash just before baking.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Since both techniques sound like they w, the main question is freezer space. If you slice, then freeze, you will need to make room for those cookie sheet(s). That could take up a lot of space.

If you freeze the uncut log, you won't be contending with that issue.

In any case, I would cut a few slices and freeze for a test run if I planned on doing this for a party, just to make sure this works okay and the particular filling behaves well after defrosting.

I freeze the slices, which happens quickly, maybe an hour or so, then store them in zip lock bags or containers. Laying them out on baking sheets when you're ready to put them in the oven only takes a minute. (Btw, I usually save the parchment sheets I used for freezing, so they're ready-cut at baking time. Saves a step and a few cents too.)