Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Mexican chocolate chickpea brownie

0f2dd3de 1158 486d ad59 fa86c26d2242  choc chickpea brownie

I have a question about the recipe "Mexican chocolate chickpea brownie" from Lisa Muller. This never fully baked through for me - still goopy in the center, although holds its shape. I even baked for longer than suggested. What did I do wrong?

asked by Sarah J. Raser about 1 year ago
88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

This is one strange recipe. Two of the measurements are quoted in the metric system, the rest in Imperial units.

What temperature did you bake the brownies at? In Fahrenheit degrees, just so commenters here know if you did the conversion correctly.

27d66f1c 9735 4ca8 9948 dee613758677  fb avatar

It's a totally weird recipe, right? But, aside from it not really "setting," the flavor is really good - very chocolaty, if a little gritty from the chickpeas but great with ice cream. I baked at 355 degrees F. And I kept baking and baking and baking... I must have added 20-30 minutes to the bake time in short intervals until I felt like the toothpick came out slightly wet but not too wet... Oh well.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Maybe there was too much liquid? There are a lot of liquid ingredients and fat in the recipe, and not much to hold it all together. Even the author's photo looks pretty runny in the center. I suspect you didn't do anything wrong.

Thanks for the encouragement! As I responded to the other reply, the flavor is great although has that "underbaked" thing going on and a bit gritty from the chickpeas. Love the idea of using chickpeas as a base! More almond meal if I make these again? Or skip the almond milk or honey? Interested in your recommendation for how to firm up.

Almond meal is just going to add more fat which will make them softer. Maybe more tapioca flour? There's nothing in this recipe to build structure--no eggs, no flour (gluten)--so you basically have pureed chickpeas with the other ingredients. I'm not even sure what the baking powder does in this recipe. I think if you're committed to making this work, you should try cutting back on some of the liquid. But what are you trying to achieve? I have a friend who purees a can of black beans and mixes them into a brownie recipe for more protein--she says it's delicious; I've never tried it. If you're trying to make gluten free brownies, you might be better off taking a tried and true recipe (look at Alice Medrich's brownies on Food52) and substituting Cup4Cup or another gluten free blend that's been tested and is known to work. I guess I could help you better if I knew what attracted you to the recipe in the first place.

VERY thoughtful reply - and good point. What is my end game for this recipe? I guess I just thought it was interesting and wanted to get it to work. I've have another gluten-free brownie recipe that works better and taste amazing. That said, chilling them helped their consistency a lot and "firmed" them up a bit. I'll have to check out Alice's recipe - thanks for the recommendation!

Amy

Never made this recipe, but if you want it to keep it gluten free, perhaps try Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 flour. It's a total flour replacement (even has xanthan in it) for regular flour. Since it has starch in it, it might be a great way to dry out your batter a bit. Again, I haven't made this recipe, but I work with the 1 to 1 flour all the time and it's amazing. BR Mill makes another gluten free baking mix. That one isn't nearly as good. You want the 1 to 1 that has a blue label.