🔕 🔔

Cranberry chutney

I made a cranberry chutney that calls for 1/2 cup cider vinegar. I tasted it 12 hours later and it still tastes way to vinegary. Is there a fix?

asked by akrainey almost 2 years ago

Cav

For me chutney's should be vinegary, it's one of the defining characteristics of the preserve. If you want it less vinegary though, diluting it should work. This can be done by adding more of the other ingredients, cranberries, sugar etc.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I made some apple chutney that was too vinegary - well beyond the balance of a good chutney, to the point of drowning the flavors of the spices, apples, etc. I rescued it by making another batch, cooked down with water instead of vinegar, and combined. It worked.

Forgot to add - this method yielded way too much chutney, but it freezes well.