Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Michelin Star Chefs are coming for Lunch, and I am the one who is cooking.

94025b24 7a80 4c70 ba96 c61ad41e0b9c  cherimoya chayote 7 3 1

10 days left to the lunch and I am looking at unusual fruits and vegetables to create a special festive spirit. Among many I found the Chayote which is grown here in the French Riviera. I am looking for ideas on how to cook it.

asked by Your Guardian Chef about 1 year ago
1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

Prepare something simple. The only recipe you have ever submitted to Food52 is your version of stuffed pork tenderloin which is very, very simple. Two Michelin chefs who I know and who have restaurants in the Napa Valley are Thomas Keller and Christopher Kostow and they each have a fancy restaurant and a casual one (Christopher's will open next year). They eat simple food when they are on their own time.

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

Thank you for your reply. As I have replied below the Chayote is just a zucchini variety, so it is a very simple ingredient. I have submitted only one recipe on Food52 because I found it very time consuming to write everything again. In most other food communities you can just add a link to your website. Is there an easier way to submit recipes here?

If I were you, I would not look for things I have never prepared before. Chefs or no chefs, everyone loves seasonal foods prepared simply and well.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I am with Susan on this. My advice would be not to cook things you have not cooked before. It's a risky business, unless you are willing to make the dish several times ahead of the dinner as a prep. But there is another reason... These guys are Michelin stars, they cook with unusual ingredients every day, it's a part of their job. I would suggest not competing with them in the cook-to-impress arena. That's a hard thing to do. They will appreciate something homey, something that comes from your heart and your family, something you excel at and you are proud to share with them. Just my five cents.

Thank you all for your advise. I do agree that simple is better and I would not compete with them. The Chayote is an unusual ingredients but it is actually a Zucchini variety, so it is very simple to cook. I though I would get much more ideas from this community but I guess it is not well known in the USA. Very common in Italy.

FWIW, agree with Queen Sashy. Perhaps choose something you love and have made often and knows pleases people, and/or some recipe from your family or background or a cuisine you often cook. Consider the reason for the occasion and maybe do some menu planning from that perspective...e.g., is it to mark an occasion, honor someone or something? So then, in your situation, I would select one or more dishes from my strengths that are suitable to the date or occasion...whatever you choose, good luck with the results.

I don't know these vegetables. I can't give you ideas but you have a good inspiration for new récipe.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

Maybe I'm one of the few chefs who feels this way, but I think chayote squash is a waste of time and energy. At least zucchini has FLAVOR. Chayote is like water, in my opinion.But for what it's worth, i have seen recipes where it is stuffed with a meat mixture and baked. I would rather point you to a native American vegetable- jerusalem artichoke/"sunchoke" or topinambour in French. A root crop, easy to grow, WONDERFUL unusual flavor which I equate with a nutty carrot. No need to peel. Wonderful sauteed and added to a stew for just enough time to stay 'al dente' or roasted and pureed w/ some orange zest for a delicious creamy soup, or roasted as is. Goes very well with lovage(do you have that there? it is rare here in the U.S.)

Burdock Root(gobo) is a great Japanese root vegetable and delicious in many different preps.
Shiso, the cinnamony/basily green perilla leaf, is an unusual herb sometimes used in sushi bars (the purple perilla is used to color pickled vegetables.)
What about seaweed? It is abundant in your area and you could make a broth with it or a salad, depending on the kinds that grow near you. Kombu could be used to wrap a mousseline before poaching..... Nori (prepared sheets) could be used in a nori butter for seafood

Persimmons and pomegranates are also less seen here on the East Coast of the U.S.
Okra is a fantastically under-used vegetable in the U.S. (except in The South) and delicious.
Often easy to find in Indian markets.

I was thinking more about your chayote. You could halve and stuff it such that some mousseline/pate mixture coats the cavity in a 1/2" layer, then top that with an interesting risotto with some crunchy element like toasted pumpkin seeds, and top it with slivered nori for festive presentation.

you could also use one chayote per person, hollowed out w/ top reserved, to fill with/make a savory Japanese custard, chawanmushi , baked in a bain marie.
http://www.saveur.com/article...
The diner removes the top and all the aromas rise!

Actually it is a very well known fruit. You made it sound like it was exotic so we tried to find a solution to your problem. If Chayote was what you were exclusively trying to find a recipe for, you should have been more straight forward. It has many names and recipes world wide. The Food 52 community is much more world smart than you apparently think!

Voted the Best Answer!

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

Goodness gracious...

Thank you Le Bec Fin, you have great ideas and I am definitely interested in the Burdock Root, but I would not venture for it on this occasion.
I chose the Choyote because they sell it in every supermarket now but it is not an obvious ingredients and would like to give my readers some ideas on how to use it.
Thank you for the link you sent, I will definitely look at it and explore your ideas.
I don't have any cooking accreditation, so feedback from this community are very helpful. I am just an Italian who loves cooking, the Chefs are well aware of that.
So if I succeed, anyone can!

guardian, i am wanting to reply to you but the Reply button is not around, so i'm writing this here instead. I was thinking about a Timbalo. I wonder if you could use the chayote as a substitute for the metal bowl:
Cut the chayote 'globe' in half, Scoop it out, line it with overlapping slices of prosciutto, fill it with cooked pasta mixed with beschamel and an apple-sized surprise in the middle- maybe a baked baby eggplant with a meat filling, covered up w/ the pasta. Bake in a bain marie and then flip out the timbalo onto the serving plate...? that way, the chayote's lack of flavor wouldn't be a noticeable element.

Being someone who enjoys the concept of concentric layers of flavor, and surprise, I really like this recipe for a vegetable 'turducken'. Maybe you could use a chayote, halved lengthwise, as the outermost layer, with butternut squash and eggplant as the other 2 layers....

http://www.epicurious.com...

i think i forgot to mention that chayote is of Mexican origin, i believe. Which is why, in the u.s. , you usually only see it near Mexican populations- California, of course, and Chicago and the southwest states. And I would feel safe betting that one of the cuisines least familiar to most European Michelin starred chefs- would be Mexican, a complex robust fascinating cuisine, to be sure!

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I fall into a camp of cooks who have yet to find a dish with chayote that will take them to heaven. Having said this, here is a simple recipe that uses chayote with braised chicken, it might work nicely for the occasion, http://www.chowhound.com...

Thank you, that looks very nice. Below the outcome of my weekend testing!!

Le Bec Fin, you make me laugh. It is true the Chayote does not have any flavour. I did some experimenting this weekend and I found that the strength of the Chayote is its glue-iness (?). When boiled and blend it makes a nice smooth soft foam, ....... with no flavour.
So I am going to try to work with that adding flavours somehow.
As I have already bought 6 bottles of Sicilian white wine, I have to stay with fish.
I was planning a dish with stoccafish as a main course and tried it this weekend.
My husband and sons has CATEGORICALLY dismissed it, so to play safe I think I will make my well tested fish pie. IT SEEMS A SIMPLE SOLUTION!
The dinner is on Tuesday and unfortunately Europe is not like USA: Monday there is no fresh fish!!!
No wonder the Chefs were available on Tuesday =[
Serving Starred Chefs frozen fish?
I am starting to get stressed!!!

How exciting- your so lucky to host them! Have you tried a chayote soup yet? This would be delicious with some homemade Tartine sourdough bread, a fancy-cut cucumber salad, and maybe a Smitten Kitchen apple tart to finish it off? Mmmm, especially with that wine. I hope you have a wonderful time at your lunch party!

http://lolascocina.com...
http://cooking.nytimes...
http://smittenkitchen.com...

Thank you Christie, the soup is a good idea and I wonder if I can add fish fumet instead of chicken broth, since fish is my focus for this meal.
I should haven't looked at the sourdough bread article, it looks delicious. I have been up till 4am testing recipes .. and Chayote. Have not had breakfast yet... 6 days to go!!
It is 8am here now, going for school run and will have to stop at a boulangerie !

The event has been posted on my website:
http://yourguardianchef...

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

It sounds like a wonderful day! Thanks for the update.

For those who are interested, I am running the current contest with my Chayote Mousse !

253fce72 d76d 4554 8a4b 989ff5f613ae  chayote mousse 7 4 1 1