A question about a recipe: Laurie Colwin's Creamed Spinach

I have a question about the recipe "Laurie Colwin's Creamed Spinach" from Genius Recipes. Making a huge feast for NYE, thinking of including this as a side. Flour substitute? Gluty-free flour or another thickener?

A4ba8fa0 76cb 488f b19c 6bcb985ec8aa  2015 1215 creamed spinach jalepeno peppers mark weinberg 552
Recipe question for: Laurie Colwin's Creamed Spinach

hardlikearmour December 25, 2015

A starch thickener should work -- I'd probably go with potato.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN December 26, 2015

If you use a potato flour (Bob's Red Mill; they also do a potato starch) you can also use the potato flour as a small but essential component in biscuits that are particularly flaky and tender because off it. (If you need a recipe, let me know.) That way, it's not taking up room in your frig/freezer for one small use.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN December 26, 2015

jm, i looked at that recipe. another option would be to keep aside some of the spinach,onion and cheeses, and keep that dish separate for GF. That way, the others can have it as it was designed,plus the bread crumb topping.

But if you decide to go GF for the whole shebang, you might want to top the dish with pan- toasted quinoa, which is deliciously crunchy.

Kristen Miglore December 26, 2015

Emily Gould, who recommended this recipe to me, makes it gluten-free using potato starch, though a much smaller amount than the flour called for. She said for this recipe just a couple tablespoons of potato starch would be good, and you can always add a little more liquid if it gets too thick.