A question about a recipe: Sweet Tomato and Peach Cobbler

58a88bab 2913 46a0 a13c 100653db1852  dscn0116

I have a question about the recipe "Sweet Tomato and Peach Cobbler" from inpatskitchen. Can I use regular canned tomatoes and peaches? Also, how many ounces of each would that equal?

asked by Timothy Goetsch almost 3 years ago

I find that the biggest joy of cobblers is the freshness of the seasonal fruit. That's why if you look at restaurant menus, you're not going to find berry or peach cobbler in January.

I've had plenty of canned tomatoes, canned peaches, fresh tomatoes and fresh peaches in my life, and I don't think they compare in terms of flavor. But that's just me...

That said, I'm sure you can make something edible. I doubt it would taste as great as the dish prepared from fresh, in-season ingredients, but hey, I'm not the one who is going to eat it.

As for replacement quantities, I'll let someone else answer, but cobblers are pretty flexible. After all, it's just a bunch of cooked fruit with a pastry crust topping.

Rachel

Try putting in a large can of halved canned peaches and a can of whole peeled plum tomatoes, well drained (28 oz each), and tinker and adjust to your taste. Count the peach halves out of the can, and the whole plum tomatoes. You should be able to get the right amount for the recipe out of the two cans. Honestly, I don't use a recipe anymore when I make crisps or cobblers, but this does sound unusual and delicious. Good luck!