A question about a recipe: Alice Medrich's Best Cocoa Brownies

I have a question about the recipe "Alice Medrich's Best Cocoa Brownies" from Genius Recipes. Would I be able to use white whole wheat flour

Liz D
Liz D January 18, 2016

I substitute white whole wheat flour in cookies all the time. You might want to use just slightly less whole wheat than you do white flour, as the whole wheat seems to make a stiffer batter. In my experience, most people don't even notice that the cookies are whole wheat

Sherry Intriago
Sherry Intriago January 18, 2016

How much slightly less?

Liz D
Liz D January 18, 2016

I would guess a tablespoon or two, but as Susan W said, brownies are pretty forgiving.

Sherry Intriago
Sherry Intriago January 18, 2016

Thank you for your promptness in reply :)

Susan W January 18, 2016

According to King Arthur and The Kitchn, you can substitute 1:1 when baking things like brownies or cc cookies. It is a little denser, so you could remove 1 TBS if you want to. You can also sift it after you measure it. If you go by weight, sift whenever you'd like. Brownies are quite forgiving.

Sherry Intriago
Sherry Intriago January 18, 2016

Great, thank you so much for your help. :)

Susan W January 18, 2016

You're welcome. I make those brownies quite often. Love them. Don't expect the sugar, cocoa and butter to become smooth. Doesn't happen. It smooths out after the eggs are added..

Sherry Intriago
Sherry Intriago January 18, 2016

I have made this twice before, and I try to use whole wheat instead of all purpose, but not with this one. Wasn't sure what my measurements would be or if this would turn out as good as the original recipe. I'm going to try now, thanks again. :)