Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Kindred's Milk Bread

840fb939 0f98 4028 bddd ba5d463ac62c  milkbread1

I have a question about the recipe "Kindred's Milk Bread" from Catherine O'Donnell. Why in the world are so many people having such problems with this recipe?? Has the recipe been updated to make less hassle; I'd greatly appreciate a clearer, less problematical recipe as the bread looks fantastic! Thanks, Ann Sanderson

asked by Ann Sanderson 11 months ago
ktr

I don't make bread very often (other than recipes from artisan bread in 5 minutes a day) and this recipe turned out great for me.

695013bb 6175 44d4 9967 d3fa0ab27033  stringio

In conclusion; I don't think you should have too much trouble. The initial step, where you make a pot of library paste, is a bit odd but not difficult and doesn't seem to require precision. It's probably best to use the instant yeast ( I used regular, which required a bit of shifting of things to get it dissolved)- mixing it with the flour should remove most danger of overheating, but I'd let the warm ingredients cool a bit- they do start the dough off warm, speeding the rising (1 hr. isn't much for a first rise). It may be too much dough for your mixer- you can do half, do it in batches, or knead by hand. If you do it by hand be careful not to add too much flour- it should be a little sticky. I baked them in English muffin rings (do people really have giant muffin tins?)- half the recipe made 5 huge rolls. As far as appearance, aroma and texture they are first rate. The recipe is designed to play sweetness against salt; this combination doesn't really appeal to me much, but the balance seems good (too much of both for me) but I think most people will like it, and it's trendy.

Some of the steps are a bit unorthodox, and there are quite a few of them, but the recipe seems quite clear on most things. The comments seem to bring up two problems people have- 1)the method of adding the yeast- the recipe calls for active dry yeast but, by the author's notes in comments, evidently rapid rise yeast, which can be added directly to the flour, seems to have been intended. And a couple of people thought the dough was too wet- one of them sifted the flour, which caused her problem. I suppose I have to make the recipe now- it didn't look like particularly a lot of liquid 9there is 1c. water that's not on the ingredient list), but a lot of bread doughs are intentionally wetter than the standard sandwich bread or dinner rolls most people learn on.

ktr

I'm trying to remember exactly what the dough was like when I made it, but I do not remember it being overly wet. I wonder if the reason people are running into that issue is that they are not cooking the flour/water mix down far enough.

The dough came together easily enough- it's a bit on the sticky side, nothing extraordinary. You might want to let the mixture cool a bit before adding the egg and yeast. Won't know how the rolls come out until tonight.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

haven't made this recipe, but it's very, very similar to Hokkaido milk bread: https://food52.com/recipes... Both start with a cooked roux-like base, have butter kneaded into the dough and so on. You might want to give it a go - I found its instructions quite clear and had good luck with it several times. It's baked in one loaf, but pulls apart into 3-4 smaller individual loaves. Actually, fairly easy - this pic was my 1st attempt (I now usually do 4 rolls of dough per pan):

64ff8ff0 bd54 4896 a928 ad500c44520d  hokkaido milk bread

I made this and had no problem with the recipe - a little different from the bread I usually make, but it rose significantly and looked the way it was supposed to. I was not too impressed with the bread itself, however, and wondered at the rave reviews it got. I wouldn't make it again.