A question about a recipe: Tuna Poke

2324ebe9 d0ba 4ca2 b4cb dd2b8da8e429  tuna poke

I have a question about the recipe "Tuna Poke" from heidigarfield. Sesame Oil - what kind? Toasted sesame oil has a very strong flavor so I wonder if this large quantity is correct.

asked by jdspring over 2 years ago

Hopefully the author will answer, but 2 TBS for 3 TBS of acid and 1/2 lb of tuna sounds perfect to me. Untrusted is basically tasteless, so my guess is toasted. You could use less of the toasted and mix it with another oil if it's too much for you.

jdspring

Thanks. I will use some toasted sesame substituting a neutral oil for the rest. It's such a strong flavor. I'm relatively new to asian cooking so am glad to know that regular/untoasted sesame oil is not needed!

I love the toasted version. I've been cooking Asian for years and have never bought untoasted, so unless you want to try it out of curiosity, no need to buy it. Peanut oil and grapeseed oil are good to have on hand for stir frys.

heidigarfield

Hi - toasted is best! I have used untoasted when in a pinch but I think the toasted flavor is much better here. Enjoy!

tinab

I would use the toasted oil here too. If you are sensitive to the taste, maybe start with half and work your way up tasting as you go.