🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Conversation Hearts

E566215e 0577 4912 9af5 84847acb2531  2016 0118 baking basics how to make conversation hearts valentines day bobbi lin 16508

I have a question about the recipe "Conversation Hearts" from Erin McDowell. How hard do they get? I put mine in the dehydrator to speed them up, but they still crush when I pinch them -will they get as hard as the commercial version?

asked by smonfor almost 2 years ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

How did they turn out after their trip in the dehydrator smonfor?

I think part of it has to do with how thick or thin they're rolled out, as Erin notes in the accompanying article: "Note: The thicker you make your hearts, the longer they will take to dry, and the less brittle their texture will be. Thinner hearts are more snappy in texture, while thicker hearts will have a little more substance."

I'm not sure if the dehydrator sped them up or not - I got the suspicion that it was just warm enough to make the sugar soft. Anyway - 48 hours on and they are hard - but not like the store bought ones, more like a butter cookie and I can still smash them with my fingers when I squeeze hard. Still they are tasty (sugar and artificial flavoring? win!) and fun. I'll see if they keep hardening in the next few days but I'm satisfied enough to do a full on batch. They were 1/4 of an inch thick - per the directions. I wouldn't want to make them thinner, personally.

0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

I've never tried making them in the dehydrator, but mine were very hard (not crumbly) after two days of air drying. They're thinner than the store-bought variety, so they won't be exactly the same, but they should be snappy/hard!