🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: White Lasagna with Leeks and Mushrooms

Aac7af3b d224 478c 8200 685981af000d  img 4561

I have a question about the recipe "White Lasagna with Leeks and Mushrooms" from cookbookchick. How many leeks in a bunch?

asked by brooklynfoodie over 1 year ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

It varies.

In a normal grocery store, maybe 2-3, but they are typically large, fully mature stalks. At my town's weekly farmers market, I tend to find leeks in a large range of sizes and each stand will have their bunches priced differently.

Of course, like any other vegetable, there are a variety of leek cultivars, some of which have been bred for larger size.

Good luck.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

In the supermarket, I usually see bunches of 3 thick-ish, or 4 small/medium leeks.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I also see what amysarah says in my stores -- three big fat ones in a bunch, sometimes only two if they're especially large, or three or four smallish ones. I sometimes wash, chop and sauté a bunch and then freeze packets of them ready to use.

I used to be frustrated by recipes with similar vagueness about vegetable quantities, but now I figure that if the recipe doesn't specify 2 c., or 6 oz., or whatever--it doesn't matter. I mean, it will make a difference in taste, but since the recipe doesn't know what balance of allium to umami is optimal for your palate, it's a matter of tasteful experimentation, in any case.