A question about a recipe: Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

B259fcf3 c86a 4cc6 93f6 bf8fe94da29f  carrotcake

I have a question about the recipe "Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting" from DolcettoConfections. on the top of the recipe - it says this makes 1 9" cake - but then the recipe talks about two pans. Do ou know if it makes 2 or 1? I only have 1 9" pan, other than that I've got a 13" Thank you!

asked by Hannah McMeekin over 2 years ago

It's a *layer* cake. One pan is for the top layer, the other pan is for the bottom layer.

Step #3 clearly instructs you to put the second layer on top of the first layer after the latter has been frosted.

If you want to use your 9x13 instead, here is a conversion table that a lot of the bakers here use.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/PanSizes.html

Better to learn how to do the arithmetic, it's not hard. In this case, your 9x13 pan is about double the volume of the 9" round; you could bake the layers separately in the 9", or make a single layer in the 9x13 and cut it in half for a rectangular cake. Or buy another 9" pan, a good idea if you plan to make many cakes.

Unless you mean it's 13" round, you didn't actually say 9x13 (a common size for a rectangular pan). That would also be about twice the size of a 9" but I'm not sure what you'd do with that.

Liz D

Given the amount of flour, sugar and eggs, this makes 2 9-inch layers, which are then put together to make the 2-layer "1 9-inch cake" that it speaks to at the top of the recipe.