🔕 🔔

Help! Milling Flour at Home???

Hi all! I want to mill my own flour at home. I mostly bake bread (the 5-minute no stir method from the NYTimes, I believe), pizza, cookies, pancakes, cornbread, corn and flour tortillas, tamales, and piecrust. I typically by unbleached organic King Arthur flour. I believe that I should buy hard white wheat berries and soft white wheat berries for the bread, pizza, cookies, pancakes, flour tortillas and piecrust and for the cornbread and corn tortillas and tamales I'm at a loss. Anyone in the community have any experience? Thank you so much for any insight and experience you may share!

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

asked over 1 year ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Hi Trena, I don't have any experience grinding flour, but I wanted to point out that we do have a grain mill in our shop (https://food52.com/shop...) if you don't already have one!

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Thank you, Lindsay-Jean!

I recently got a Mockmill, which attaches to a Kitchenaid mixer. It works great!
http://breadtopia.com/store...

For cornbread, corn tortillas, etc. you'll want dent corn (not popping corn.) You can grind it as-is for cornbread but for corn tortillas and anything else made from masa you'll need to nixtamalize the corn. (I haven't tried this yet.)

The Mockmill works great for every grain I've tried including corn, but I think some grain mills can't handle whole corn kernels-- they need to be cracked first.