A question about a recipe: Cast-Iron Skillet Cornbread

D87e3560 16fa 40cd a6c2 dcfe04ef3d12  2015 1022 cast iron skillet cornbread 019 james ransom

I have a question about the recipe "Cast-Iron Skillet Cornbread" from boozeandsusan. If I don't necessarily want sweet cornbread would it be ok to just leave out the maple syrup that the recipe calls for?

asked by Smw2170 over 2 years ago

1.5 tablespoons of maple syrup isn't a lot, you should be able to omit without a substitution.

Note that the recipe author's head note reveal that she modified a cornbread recipe from Gourmet published in 2008.

A Google search for "cornbread recipe gourmet.com 2008" will bring you to the original recipe:

http://www.gourmet.com...

so you are free to work off the original since you are not interested in executing boozeandsusan's recipe to the letter.

Good luck.

Smw2170

I just made the cornbread and followed cv's advice (omitting the maple syrup without substituting it would be fine) and it turned out DELICIOUS! I have never made cornbread before and was worried about it sticking to my somewhat new cast iron skillet but it came right out after some cooling and the bread is SOOO good. Will definitely be making this again and again and again.

It's so great that you reported back!! Also great that it turned out well.

cratecooking
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Absolutely! Sometimes I tend to leave it out, myself.