A question about a recipe: Coconut Tuiles

I have a question about the recipe "Coconut Tuiles" from Alice Medrich. What can you do to make them get/stay crisp when the weather is a bit humid?

• Posted by: Vicki
  • April 4, 2016
30cd01d6 d7bd 4c0d beb1 a23aa1ad0397  2016 0329 coconut tuiles alpha smoot 170
Recipe question for: Coconut Tuiles

Lindsay-Jean Hard April 7, 2016

While not specifically about tuiles, these threads on keeping cookies crisp might help: https://food52.com/hotline... and https://food52.com/hotline...

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon April 7, 2016

Hello Vicki,
This is a most excellent question!
Tiles are incredibly challenging when humidity strikes, no doubt!

1. Keep your baked tiles in a glass or hard clear plastic vessel with a tight fitting lid. If the lid is rubber or plastic, fashion a aluminum foil lid under the actual lid. Line vessel with parchment paper.

2. Make absolutely sure the tiles are cooled down completely before putting them away.

3. Look into buying "desiccant" in bulk if you need to keep a lot of tiles crispy in humid areas. You could also get packaged desiccant which is safer to use around food, as it's not safe to eat. This is the little packet of mysteriousness you find in a lot of Japanese food packages, or your jar of vitamins...

I hope this helps! I have eschewed tiles in the recent past because they are tricky, even in the best of weather conditions. But o, how they are deliciously delicate!

Vicki
Vicki April 8, 2016

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I had thought about the desiccant approach.

702551
702551 April 7, 2016

Silica gel packets are frequently used as desiccants in Asia to mitigate high humidity for things like cookies, crackers, chips, dried noodles, etc. Silica gel is non-toxic but inedible (it absorbs water).

You can often reuse silica gel packets left over from food packages, or you can buy online (I'm sure Amazon has a selection of silica gel packets). I believe some people revive old silica gel packets by tossing them into an oven that is barely lukewarm (like after it has been turned off and is cooling down) to evaporate some of the accumulated moisture.