Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

While not specifically about tuiles, these threads on keeping cookies crisp might help: https://food52.com/hotline... and https://food52.com/hotline...

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Hello Vicki,
This is a most excellent question!
Tiles are incredibly challenging when humidity strikes, no doubt!

1. Keep your baked tiles in a glass or hard clear plastic vessel with a tight fitting lid. If the lid is rubber or plastic, fashion a aluminum foil lid under the actual lid. Line vessel with parchment paper.

2. Make absolutely sure the tiles are cooled down completely before putting them away.

3. Look into buying "desiccant" in bulk if you need to keep a lot of tiles crispy in humid areas. You could also get packaged desiccant which is safer to use around food, as it's not safe to eat. This is the little packet of mysteriousness you find in a lot of Japanese food packages, or your jar of vitamins...

I hope this helps! I have eschewed tiles in the recent past because they are tricky, even in the best of weather conditions. But o, how they are deliciously delicate!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I had thought about the desiccant approach.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Silica gel packets are frequently used as desiccants in Asia to mitigate high humidity for things like cookies, crackers, chips, dried noodles, etc. Silica gel is non-toxic but inedible (it absorbs water).

You can often reuse silica gel packets left over from food packages, or you can buy online (I'm sure Amazon has a selection of silica gel packets). I believe some people revive old silica gel packets by tossing them into an oven that is barely lukewarm (like after it has been turned off and is cooling down) to evaporate some of the accumulated moisture.