A question about a recipe: Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls

E758a4de c2c0 4045 868d 261ebeb00d7d  2014 1030 molasses rolls 008

I have a question about the recipe "Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls" from monkeymom. Is this supposed to be a dense bread? I mixed the dough in the morning and let it sit outside to proof. 12 hours later, I baked it and it's pretty dense rolls. I'd like to make it again if I screwed up somewhere.

asked by 2Ys over 2 years ago

They shouldn't be that dense. They're puffy and kind of have the texture of those soft bread rolls that you got in the school cafeteria (only they taste much much better). Maybe your yeast wasn't active?

2Ys
2Ys

Not a yeast issue. I had a beautiful bloom before I incorporated the yeast. So that leaves the refrigeration...which doesn't really make sense to me since the dough was rising for a good 12 hours.

Sounds like the rolls may have been overproofed. ;o)

I have made these several times and they are not dense - I have never let them rise that long so I think AJ may be correct about over proofing, if you need to leave them for 12 hours I think try proofing in the fridge instead of out to slow it down. They are amazing rolls, I have to be careful not to eat every single one of them when I make them!

2Ys
2Ys

Ok, I'll have to make these again. What's a good number of hours for proofing? I didn't know you can overproof.

I've left it over night in the refrigerator. If I weren't refrigerating them, I'd probably proof them for about two hours at room temperature.

2Ys
2Ys

My second batch was better but still not as light as a soft bread should be. I mixed the dough and put it in the fridge overnight, then took it out and shaped it and let it proof at room temperature for 2 hours before baking. It still looked and felt dense. Although it was lighter than the first batch.

Yeast was good. I ran out of butter, so I used coconut oil (1:1 substitution). I even reduced the oatmeal because I thought that was contributing to the heaviness.

And you used either AP or bread flour? I'm sorry; I'm at a loss. Maybe one of the bread experts or monkey mom herself will jump in.

2Ys
2Ys

Yes, I've only used AP flour for this recipe.