🔕 🔔

How long does duck fat keep in the refrigerator?

asked by Randi almost 7 years ago

If you are talking about duck fat purchased in a store (there might be a use by date on the jar/can) I think at least six months. I have rendered my own duck fat and have kept it at least 2 months with no ill effects. I have seen articles suggesting that as long as there is no mold or rancid smell it is OK to use.

670ab1de 5683 4d5b bf7e e13092fb154d  img 0379

Not sure about in the refrigerator, but I keep a few tubs in the freezer and have used them after over a year without any problems. If I make confit or deep fry with it I will strain it, refrigerate it and try to use it up within a couple of weeks.

663f6437 fe75 4f5a 97d5 5dae5bece2ad  img 4597

This site is amazing. http://www.stilltasty.com...

It has advice regarding duck fat--it says 6 months in the fridge, and 6-9 in the freezer.

It will eventually go rancid, or, especially if you're not careful about using clean spoons, mouldy. If it's neither of those, then have at it!