What are your favorite hot drinks without caffeine?

I've just moved to the Northeast and I am freezing cold and desperate for some caffeine-free hot drinks! Thank you.

ktr
ktr April 10, 2016

My current obsession is a London fog with lavender and honey instead of the syrups most coffee shops use. I make one pretty much every day when I get to work. It does use earl gray tea but you could substitute decaf earl gray or another decaf black tea. The same substitute can be done when making chai. It may be more difficult if you are getting your drinks from a coffeehouse vs making them. Hot tea is always warming as well, and there are tons of favors to choose from. I prefer loose leaf to bag teas and have been ordering my teas from maya tea for the past year or so. They have a large selection of herbal "teas" (they can't technically be called teas ?) as well as decaf teas. And of course there is always hot chocolate and apple cider.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich April 11, 2016

Thanks, ktr! I will definitely try the London fog you've suggested, it sounds delicious. Thank you!

Susan W April 10, 2016

I doubt you meant this, but Hot Buttered Rum and Tom and Jerry top my list.

I'm I Oregon. We sometimes have below freezing in winter. I really enjoy hot milk with honey and vanilla. It's so cozy. I also like just plain hot water in a beautiful ceramic mug. Sometimes I'll squeeze a little lemon and honey in it, but I grew fond of just plain hot water. Weird, I know.

TobiT
TobiT April 11, 2016

I love plain hot water. I drink tons of it and rarely drink it cold!

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich April 11, 2016

Susan - Thank you for the suggestions! You've reminded me how much I love a good hot buttered rum. Do you have a favorite recipe? Also, the hot milk with honey and vanilla sounds delicious. We are lucky to have a local dairy that has Jersey cows and their milk is to die for. Thanks again!

Susan W April 16, 2016

Trent, an old co-worker if mine brought me a jug for Christmas that his mother made. It's the best I've ever had. It had Haagen Dazs ice cream in the batter. We're Facebook friends. I sent him a message to see if he'd share the recipe. His mom used to say no because she wanted to market it to local high end stores. I don't think she ever did. I'll let you know if I hear back.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich April 16, 2016

Susan - That sounds delicious! Fingers crossed she's in the sharing mood, thank you so much!

HalfPint April 10, 2016

Hot apple cider
Irish Cow (hot milk w a shot of Bailey's)
Chrysanthemum tea
Rooibis Tea

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich April 11, 2016

HalfPint - Thank you! I've recently discovered hibiscus tea, I'll add chrysanthemum and rooibis teas to my list.

TobiT
TobiT April 10, 2016

There's a restaurant here in St Paul that makes steamed milk drinks called "moos." My favorite is the Swedish Moo - steamed (or just hot) milk with maple syrup and ground cardamom. I don't know the proportions, so you'd have to adjust to taste. But ...yummy!

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich April 11, 2016

TobiT - The Swedish Moo sounds delicious! The maple syrup and cardamom remind me of Swedish pancakes. I'll try this, thank you!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks April 11, 2016

I am w Susan and love hot water, sometimes w lemon or a little milk. Also love hot cider w honey, lemon and mint. On this site as Honey Bear Hot Cider. Fresh herb infusions, including mint, lemon balm and sage are lovely. My daughter makes fancy hot chocolate from various cocoa or chocolate disc producers. Nunu's in Brooklyn makes good hot chocolate discs.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich April 11, 2016

luvcookbooks - Hot cider with honey, lemon and mint? Sounds like a drink to try. I'll look for the Honey Bear Hot Cider recipe. Thank you!

Kayla Reopelle
Kayla Reopelle April 12, 2016

Hi Trena! I love Ginger Tea with honey! Just take some ginger root and chop it into small pieces (bigger pieces will stay at the bottom, smaller pieces may float up) and pour some boiling water over top of it. Add honey to taste and you've got a healthy warm-up! It's also my go-to drink whenever I have a cold.

I've also wanted to try Turmeric Milk, but haven't gotten around to it yet: http://nutritionstripped.com/turmeric-milk/

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich April 12, 2016

Thank you, Kayla! Both drinks you've suggested sound delicious.

BerryBaby April 15, 2016

Broth. I love a cup of hot chicken broth using the chicken cubes. One cup of hot water, one cube.

PistachioDoughnut
PistachioDoughnut April 16, 2016

I love Kashmiri Kahva!

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich April 16, 2016

Do you have a recipe you can share? Thanks for responding to my question.

PistachioDoughnut
PistachioDoughnut April 16, 2016
http://www.food.com/recipe...

I don't really have a recipe as such. But, quite similar to this recipe. you can also use dried rose petals in it.
Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich April 16, 2016

This recipe has some of my favorite spices, I'm looking forward to giving it a try - thank you!