Does anyone know how to hack a gas burner to lessen the temperature?

I've recently moved and the lowest setting on my supposed low heat gas burner has my foods cooking too hot. This is especially difficult when I'm cooking rice and broths. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Susan W April 11, 2016

You can purchase a diffuser for that very purpose. They are very inexpensive. Amazon carries a bunch.

sydney
sydney April 11, 2016

I have that issue and I stack my burners all the time. Not perfectly stable, and I have kids so I have to be careful. Haven't had an accident so far. I did buy a diffuser early on but stacking was much more effective and allows me much more control over many more things.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN April 12, 2016

when you call a kitchen store here in the u.s., ask them for a 'flame tamer' (basically a hollow metal disc that the pot sits on.)

Smaug April 12, 2016

Flame tamers are not that easy to find these days and tend to be of very low quality. a cast iron griddle, or even a skillet, will usually serve as well. It may be possible to adjust the oxygen intake of your burners to produce a cooler flame- it would depend on your stove- but it's probably best to keep it optimum (the flame should be almost entirely blue).

scruz
scruz April 12, 2016

over time, all of my burners flames are higher than i would like. i looked it up on the internet and if you pull out the knobs that control on/off and amount of flame, there is supposedly a little screw in there that you can turn to adjust the flame. look on youtube and you might find it. i haven't gotten around to trying it yet but i'm not going to pay a serviceperson to come out and do it if i can.

stacy
stacy April 12, 2016

I have a diffuser but it's not very effective