A question about a recipe: Chocolate Dump-It Cake

33901f8b dab8 4ac5 8d01 7bf897aa6a96  2015 0122 chocolate dump it cake james ransom 008

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Dump-It Cake" from Amanda Hesser. Can this recipe be reduced/ cut in half? It's too much for two, but so good. Need a 1 layer cake. Thank you.

asked by Dj over 2 years ago

former Community Editor

Yes, especially since all of the ingredients can easily be split in half.

Additional helpful thoughts from Amanda, found in the comments of her recipe, someone asked if he could make the cake in layers instead, and she says, "Sure -- my sister does that. She uses 2 cake pans and simply divides the batter between them. They will bake more quickly and they won't have a hole in the center, like you get with a tube pan, but this approach works perfectly well." and later regarding pan size, "I would do 9 inch but if you only have 8 inch, that would be fine, too."

I think you'll need to adjust the baking time since the volume of batter will only be half. Be sure to check it early. I almost wonder if you should lower the temperature a little as well. Not sure about that part though.

Hi Dj and thank you LJ and Susan, whose answers are spot-on! Hope it goes well!