A question about a recipe: Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Figs and Apricots

588e255c da53 4906 a93b fe65c6f4630a  2016 0322 moroccan chicken tagine with figs and apricots bobbi lin 3070

I have a question about the recipe "Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Figs and Apricots" from danielle_centoni. What sides would you recommend serving with this recipe? I’m looking forward to making it for my daughter’s birthday this weekend.

asked by pamelalee over 2 years ago

I would think more about salads rather than side dishes--perhaps a combination of oranges, avocados and red onions dressed with olive oil, vinegar, cumin, and a bit of garlic. Or a Moroccan carrot salad would be refreshing. Cucumbers and tomatoes with olive oil and vinegar wiuld be appropriate, too. Or something with fresh favas--they should be hitting the grocery stores about now. And whatever you do, don't forget to serve a proper mint tea!

Couscous would be traditional. But a tabbouleh would also work well. As suggested by Maedl, carrots are an excellent choice.

Couscous would be my choice for a starch. I always miss a green vegetable when there's none on the plate, so if I were you I'd choose one that she likes.

I've made this about four times. A citrus salad is nice with it. So is couscous, as pierino pointed out. Last time I served it with roast butternut squash(because I was cleaning out the fridge), and the sweet squash and Moroccan spices went really well together.

I assume you're serving couscous alongside the tagine. Beyond that, this salad from Ottolenghi is easy and very refreshing - I think it would go well: http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/salads/green-herb-salad-shop

pamelalee

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to share great ideas!

Actually, in Morocco, couscous would most likely not be served with a tagine--couscous is a separate type of pasta that is steamed and served with a something on the order of a stew ladled over, though there is no reason that you can't serve it with a tagine if that appeals. In Morocco, you would be more likely to be served some sort of bread along the tagine.