A question about a recipe: Marcella Hazan's White Bean Soup with Garlic and Parsley

5b89ede3 09e0 415a 9f97 95795b197973  2016 0412 genius italian white bean soup bobbi lin 21828

I have a question about the recipe "Marcella Hazan's White Bean Soup with Garlic and Parsley" from Genius Recipes. If you are cooking the dry beans, do you soak first? how long do you cook?

asked by rhea about 2 years ago

I always soak my beans (in the pot I am going to cook them in) for at least 12 hours. I feel they cook better than when the quick soak method is used. Then drain and rinse. Put the beans back in the pot. Cover by two inches with water. Even though you are cooking them for a recipe, I would still season them with salt (this doesn't interfere with cooking them as we've been told in the past), onion, garlic, fresh thyme springs and a bay leaf. All of that is optional, but I like the flavor it lends the beans. Then bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook until soft. Be sure to check 4-5 beans for doneness because the little buggers can cook unevenly. This could take anywhere from 45 minutes to 90 minutes or longer depending on the freshness of your beans.

Ditto on the overnight soak. White beans come in different sizes though. An hour simmer is a good rule of thumb. But as always, they are done when they are done.