what is your favorite cookie to go with fruit?

Maybe something shortbread like...??? All suggestions welcome!

asked by Stephanie G over 2 years ago

Lady fingers.

Chocolate dipped Madeleines of shortbread would be great (but better with chocolate!) Or shortbread served with chocolate squares.

i haven't thought of this in years, but I volunteered at the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum and in the spring, the volunteer program director, who was from England, organized a lovely party to send us off for the summer. We feasted on strawberries stuffed into saddle-shaped cookies and smothered with whipped cream. The cookies were something similar to Florentines--as soon as you take them out of the oven, they are shaped into a U-shape by putting them over a round jar laying on its side. This was accompanied by flutes of champagne and lots of good conversation. This is a tradition that needs to be revived.

What a truly awesome memory!! I would totally revive that. Do you have that specific cookie recipe? We may be a bunch of women playing poker, but I promise we'll honor the Smithsonian memory!

I wish I did have the recipe, but I don't. I made a cookie about 20 years ago that was very similar--very flexible immediately after removing from the oven. I can't find that recipe, but am looking for something similar.

TobiT

Milano cookies. I know they aren't homemade, but I think they are perfect with fruit. And along the same lines as chocolate dipped madelaines, but a lot less work!

I adore these cookies with fruit or not. Dipped in chocolate or not. Do go to the trouble of finding cultured butter to make them with. I use unsalted Organic Valley.

Oops...here ya go.
http://cooking.nytimes...

Stephanie G

Thank you, Susan! Exactly what I was looking for.

jakestavis

not sure if you want something to bake with fruit or to serve with fruit but these shortbreads have always turned out delicious
http://smittenkitchen.com...

i've made them with all sorts of stone fruit, though it might be a bit early for that

Stephanie G

Funny! That peach shortbread has been on my list!