🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Craquelin-Style Buns

E9bf541f d21e 46ba 818d 363244686516  2016 0219 baking basics enriched yeast dough mark weinberg 621 1

I have a question about the recipe "Craquelin-Style Buns" from Erin McDowell. I have a sudden urge to make these buns, but no sugar cubes or oranges handy. I'm wondering if I could substitute something for the buried nugget - maybe a chunk of brown sugar, vanilla and cinammon? Or a brown sugar nugget infused with good maple syrup (which I have in abundance)? I also have orange oil, but a teensy bit of that goes a long way. Seems like some combo of these would work, if not replicate the classic. Also, have you ever frozen these, after baking?

asked 7 months ago
0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Erin is a baking aficionado, writer, stylist, and Test Kitchen Manager at Food52. She is currently writing a cookbook.

Hi there!

It will be tough to get the effect of the Craquelin without sugar cubes, but you can try! A nugget of brown sugar will dissolve more quickly and just may not make the same look/texture on the inside - but you're right, I think it would still make a yummy recipe! My worry is just that it wouldn't be as pronounced as the cube. I don't tend to freeze these desserts after they are baked but I imagine you could - keep us posted how that works for you!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Thanks for the intel. I can see how brown sugar would melt/absorb more during baking than cubes...will let you know how it works. I ended up not making the dough until yesterday - first rise wasn't great, but I often find dough with butter/eggs takes longer. Shrunk a bit in the fridge overnight, so I gave it a quick knead, now letting it come to room temp, and hopefully rise a little more, before continuing. Sugar cubes on the grocery list for next time!