A question about a recipe: Craquelin-Style Buns

I have a question about the recipe "Craquelin-Style Buns" from Erin McDowell. I have a sudden urge to make these buns, but no sugar cubes or oranges handy. I'm wondering if I could substitute something for the buried nugget - maybe a chunk of brown sugar, vanilla and cinammon? Or a brown sugar nugget infused with good maple syrup (which I have in abundance)? I also have orange oil, but a teensy bit of that goes a long way. Seems like some combo of these would work, if not replicate the classic. Also, have you ever frozen these, after baking?

E9bf541f d21e 46ba 818d 363244686516  2016 0219 baking basics enriched yeast dough mark weinberg 621 1
Recipe question for: Craquelin-Style Buns

1 Comment

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell May 5, 2016

Hi there!

It will be tough to get the effect of the Craquelin without sugar cubes, but you can try! A nugget of brown sugar will dissolve more quickly and just may not make the same look/texture on the inside - but you're right, I think it would still make a yummy recipe! My worry is just that it wouldn't be as pronounced as the cube. I don't tend to freeze these desserts after they are baked but I imagine you could - keep us posted how that works for you!

amysarah May 5, 2016

Thanks for the intel. I can see how brown sugar would melt/absorb more during baking than cubes...will let you know how it works. I ended up not making the dough until yesterday - first rise wasn't great, but I often find dough with butter/eggs takes longer. Shrunk a bit in the fridge overnight, so I gave it a quick knead, now letting it come to room temp, and hopefully rise a little more, before continuing. Sugar cubes on the grocery list for next time!