🔕 🔔

How do I explain to my French butcher the cut of meat I need to make Market Style Porchetta ?

60dd429d 2242 49e0 87fd ef2c633c257f  img 0164

As a Roman far away from home, I have to make Pierino’s porchetta:
https://food52.com/recipes...
I went to buy the meat but here in France the pork shoulder is cut in slices, as in the picture (used for cassoulet).
How can I describe the cut of meat I need to my French butcher? Does anyone have a picture to share?

asked by Your Guardian Chef about 2 years ago

Would it be possible to just ask for a pork shoulder roast?

Your Guardian Chef

He said that this (like in the picture) is usually how he cuts the piece. I even used my Italian hand movements, but I am not even sure how far up and down the piece should be cut. From the shoulder to the elbow?

Cuts are done differently from countries to countries even within the European Union and it is not always easy to find what you are looking for. To buy a traditional English ham or turkey breast for Christmas you have to go to a special shop in Antibes.

What you want is the "picnic ham" which is at the top of the front legs. I have a chart which unfortunately I can't attach. But you can easily Google printable pork cut charts. Ask your butcher to remove the bone and save it for you.

Your Guardian Chef

Grazie Pierino,
is this accurate?
http://sugarmtnfarm.com...
In this charts it says that it should be around 10 lb, you wrote in the recipes about 5 lb?

That's the cut! The picnic shoulder in your chart. The weight though will vary with the size of the animal. Tell your butcher how much in kilos you want. Include the weight with the bone.

You can also use what we call the "Boston butt" as a substitute if you get a better price. It's the muscle above the picnic.

Your Guardian Chef

Thank you Pierino, and the cut should be perpendicular to the bone ?

Cochon le misère, c'est pas facile (Totò e Fernandel: “La legge e’ Legge” 1958)

This probably isn't super helpful but when I was making cochinita pibil in Mexico, I said "Puerco" and then pointed to my butt. Which was probably just calling myself a fat ass but he did end up cutting the thing that I wanted!!!

Your Guardian Chef

Fantastic ! I wish I was there to see the butcher reaction =-0

Your Guardian Chef

After a long conversation and several hands movements, I finally got an Epaul de porc, but with no bones or skin. Anyway this was the end results and even if the crackling skin was missing, it was divine ! Thank you Pierino

I know how much work you put into this so I'm very glad it finally worked out for you. There's just nothing on earth that can compare with real porchetta.