🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Justin Burdett's Chilled English Pea Soup with Garlic Cream & Pickled Ramps

39aea87f 75cb 4730 b4e9 c2c9e9b27e2f  8950224222 1ba56853e7 z

I have a question about the recipe "Justin Burdett's Chilled English Pea Soup with Garlic Cream & Pickled Ramps" from Genius Recipes. How far in advance can the soup and cream be made?

asked by Sle 7 months ago
88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

In my experience, the fragile joy of fresh English peas is very ephemeral and fades quickly. While I've not made this particular recipe, I've handled English peas in many other dishes and I'd make the soup itself the day it is to be served. It is noteworthy that only the peas are blanched, all the other ingredients are raw.

The garlic cream on the other hand looks like it could be made a day or two in advance with not too much loss of quality. Again, this is based on other cooked cream dishes I have made before.

The pickled ramps must clearly be made at least a day before, if not 2-3 days.

I recommend you read the comments on the recipe page very carefully. The recipe does appear to use an enormous amount of salt in the salted water ice bath. Instead of using the recipes 1/4 cup, I'd probably scale this back down to 2-3 tablespoons and go by taste. You can't remove salt, but it is easy to add.

Good luck.