A question about a recipe: Sun-Dried Tomato, Basil, and White Bean Burgers

Fc7a861c 62e4 4bff 867c 73f4810f6e4c  2015 0324 quinoa white bean pea burgers bobbi lin 0166

I have a question about the recipe "Sun-Dried Tomato, Basil, and White Bean Burgers" from Kendra Vaculin. Can these be cooked on a grill?

asked by BSiegmann over 2 years ago

Maybe, maybe not. Bean burger patties have a reputation for being rather crumbly.

Part of your success will hinge on your ability to get bean burger patties to bind sufficiently, something this recipe's author mentions.

The other major factor is your skill in flipping burger patties. There are people who are good at this, there are others who are mediocre, there are others who are terrible (I've been to a lot of tailgates, picnics, etc. to have seen the gamut). The right tool helps (a really wide spatula) but I've seen people mangle patties with the right tool, so it's definitely not just the equipment.

It's really your call.

For sure, a wood-fired grill is going to add some smokiness to the burger that simply cannot be duplicated on a stovetop.

Good luck.

Liz D

You could try putting the patties in a fish basket or between 2 wire racks wired together, so you turn the whole basket/rack assembly rather than individual patties, and it might help keep the patties together, if you are gentle...

Here's an example of what Liz D is talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CNTB-422-Simply-Grilling-Nonstick/dp/B001RIY9GA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1465504783

If you search for "grill basket" you'll see a number of products that could work.