🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: American Flag Cake

168cfe9e 83d6 4351 bf98 90f20c8b576b  flag cake contedxt

I have a question about the recipe "American Flag Cake" from Erin McDowell. I've wanted to make this gorgeous cake since the recipe was first published in 2014, and this is the year I'm going to do so. In the instructions, could you please clarify item #6 vis a vis the comments from Coffecat (11 months ago) and Harry (almost 2 years ago) about the number of layers? My understanding is that if you slice the 2 white and 2 red layers in half, then you'd have 8 layers total, but are only using 6 layers for the cake, so would then have 2 layers of unused cake left over? Is that correct? Thanks!

asked by Ellen 6 months ago
0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Erin is a baking aficionado, writer, stylist, and Test Kitchen Manager at Food52. She is currently writing a cookbook.

Hi Ellen - yes, the easiest way to get cakes the proper size is to bake multiple layers, and it will give you more than you need. Make cake "truffles" or "pops" with the extra, or just snack on it to reward yourself for making such a big cake project! :)