A question about a recipe: American Flag Cake

I have a question about the recipe "American Flag Cake" from Erin McDowell. I've wanted to make this gorgeous cake since the recipe was first published in 2014, and this is the year I'm going to do so. In the instructions, could you please clarify item #6 vis a vis the comments from Coffecat (11 months ago) and Harry (almost 2 years ago) about the number of layers? My understanding is that if you slice the 2 white and 2 red layers in half, then you'd have 8 layers total, but are only using 6 layers for the cake, so would then have 2 layers of unused cake left over? Is that correct? Thanks!

• Posted by: Ellen
  • June 9, 2016
  • 1 Comment
168cfe9e 83d6 4351 bf98 90f20c8b576b  flag cake contedxt
Recipe question for: American Flag Cake

1 Comment

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell June 10, 2016

Hi Ellen - yes, the easiest way to get cakes the proper size is to bake multiple layers, and it will give you more than you need. Make cake "truffles" or "pops" with the extra, or just snack on it to reward yourself for making such a big cake project! :)