A question about a recipe: Blackbird's Bread

76426cd7 bc5d 464e 9191 a15976e792a3  2015 0811 quick bread with molasses seeds and walnuts alpha smoot 464

I have a question about the recipe "Blackbird's Bread " from Food52. For this recipe, do you grind the flax seeds, or leave them whole?

asked by Alice Dub about 2 years ago

The flax seeds are left whole, not ground.

Alice Dub

Thank you!

Gee, I'm surprised at SKK answer.
I was always taught that flax seeds should be ground before using, so the body can absorb their nutrients, that whole they give us very little or no food value.
Any nutritionists or scientists out there who can tell us more?

Gee, I'm surprised at SKK answer.

Nancy is right that you get more nutrition from flax seeds that have been ground. But there's no need to totally avoid the whole seeds, which are still a good source of fiber I really love these flax seed chips that I adapted from Fäviken by Magnus Nilsson. https://food52.com/recipes...

Chris, thanks for both the general info and the reminder of baking with whole flax seeds. I have a great cracker recipe using many seeds, including whole flax, that I completely forgot about.

grandrivergirl

I make a recipe called Farmhouse Flax Cookies. Half the flax is ground and the rest is not- texture and nutrition all in one!