Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Move Over Major Grey Mango Chutney

C540c655 c2d8 444f 977f 253b5dd19d68  img 0222

I have a question about the recipe "Move Over Major Grey Mango Chutney" from MrsWheelbarrow. I did not so step #4 I did boil jars and tops I made this chutney 2 days ago jar tops have popped and are tightened can I till boil for 10 minutes? Not sue what to do now. Thank you Magenta on Kauai HI so fortunate to have a champagne mango tree in my yard

asked by Magenta 5 months ago
B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

If the tops have already sealed (check by removing the rings and lifting the jar by the flat lid), there is no need to boil the jars. Boiling jars equalizes the temperature of the jar's contents with the boiling water, causing air to escape under the lid which seals the jar.

Be careful of boiling the tops. Years ago when I first started canning I had a series of jam jars that wouldn't seal. I was told by the Ball Company expert that the cause was the boiling and that the water should be kept very hot but not boiled.