A question about a recipe: Peach and Blackberry Crostata

Bd2e81b9 ea96 49bd b2ef 6ff7661c3bd8  img 3144

I have a question about the recipe " Peach and Blackberry Crostata " from Mario Batali. Can this be made the night before? Should it be refrigerated or stored at room temp?

asked by Bryan about 2 years ago

I'm sure it would survive the night, albeit not in the prime condition as if it were baked the day it is to be consumed. That's pretty typical of many baked goods. After all, this is called a "crostata" which implies that the crunchiness of the fresh crust is important. If you cook this the night before, for sure some of the moisture from the fruit filling will start to cause the crust to become soggy. That's typical of fruit tarts.

In my SF Bay Area microclimate, the temperature drops to the mid-50s at night right now. No thought of refrigerating something like this for me.

Personally, if I were trying to streamline the prep, I'd make and roll out the dough into a pie pan the night before, then cook it with the filling the morning of.

But that's just me...

I agree with CV here. Pastry dough with a fruit filling should be used immediately for best results. It would be a shame to see the work that goes into it undermined by over-refrigeration. And yes, in Italian "crostata" suggests a nice, brown crust not a soft crumble.

I haven't made Mario's Crostata, however I make Ina's recipe quite often. It is best served warm or at room temperature 'the day of'. I've refrigerated the leftovers and it is still quite tasty, but not as flaky and juicy. When refrigerated it changes the consistency of the pastry and the filling.

YourGuardianChef, your Irish husband will recognize my current avatar.

riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay...

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Does it even need to be refrigerated? I would think it would keep a night on the counter

Bryan

Thanks everyone! This is what I was afraid of. I was hoping to take this with me on an early morning flight and have it served upon arrival to my destination. I was wondering if it might be too soggy by then if I made it the night before. Sounds like yes.

You are a very nice guest, but can you travel it in pieces? Or overnight it in whole form or pieces?

A crucial detail missing from your original post: you are traveling with this item by air.

The TSA isn't going to allow this in your carry-on bag and it would get bashed up in your checked luggage.

Find something else to bring.

Bryan

cv I don't see why they wouldn't. Nothing in this crostata is liquid or a gel. I've never had a problem bringing baked goods on a flight in the past.

You'll be able to take it onboard. I've traveled with food on many flights.