A question about a recipe: Lapsang Souchong Cured King Salmon with Ginger Lime Cream Cheese

8ea03859 7493 4836 8a3d 76692cbee82f  2016 0712 lapsang souchong cured king salmon with ginger lime cream cheese bobbi lin 2746

I have a question about the recipe "Lapsang Souchong Cured King Salmon with Ginger Lime Cream Cheese" from QueenSashy. Is the instruction to use frozen rather than fresh salmon important?

asked by lilroseglow almost 2 years ago

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Lilroseglow, here is my five cents of wisdom... Have I cured unfrozen fresh salmon -- yes. But the FDA states (and with a good reason) that "it's always best to cook seafood thoroughly to minimize the risk of foodborne illness. However, if you choose to eat raw fish anyway, one rule of thumb is to eat fish that has been previously frozen."

lilroseglow

Thank you. I wasn't aware of that food safety rule. Now as a side question, how does that rule apply to sushi?

lilroseglow

Recipe sounds delicious by the way, and I plan to try it very soon!

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

It very much applies to sushi. However, freezing does not completely eliminate the bacteria and also, does not deal with the bacteria that can come from unsafe handling practices (like handling frozen an non-frozen fish using same equipment/space). Therefore all the cautions that are attached to raw seafood.