A question about a recipe: Vanilla Berry Baked Oatmeal

81a630dd e44c 4584 922e ce327b4f77ad  2015 0715 vegan baked summer berry oatmeal mark weinberg 324

I have a question about the recipe "Vanilla Berry Baked Oatmeal" from Gena Hamshaw. Without the flax meal does this dish still turn out? I have all of the other items to bake this and was hoping to skip a trip to the store! Thank you

asked by Emily | Cinnamon&Citrus over 2 years ago

former Community Editor

It should still work. Way down in the comments Gena notes that the flax is there as a binding agent, adding: "The recipe will likely survive without it, but it does help with texture."

Emily Love

I substitute chia seeds for flax meal whenever I make this and it turns out great. You could also use an egg if you aren't vegan for a binding agent.

Emily | Cinnamon&Citrus

Thanks! I actually keep chia seeds in my pantry so that is a good solution for me!