A question about a recipe: Coconut Ginger Ice Cream

A6341a43 c0d4 47fb 92f4 5df2d922db5a  icecream 4

I have a question about the recipe "Coconut Ginger Ice Cream" from Posie Harwood. Could I substitute milk and heavy cream for coconut milk?

asked by Arijeta Potter almost 2 years ago

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

She already has milk and Heavy cream in the recipe so you would probably be okay but then you won't have the coconut taste. She may respond to you since you mentioned the recipe in the question but I would message her directly or ask in the comments section of the recipe to get her to respond. Good luck.

Coco et Cocoa

You can, but there are trade-offs. If you're okay with losing all the coconut flavour, just sub in the right ratio of milk and cream to achieve an equal volume with equal amount of fat, easy. But if you still want coconut flavour you have two options: 1. add coconut extract, which depending on the brand, can be a hit-or-miss (likely the latter), or 2. Steep unsweetened shredded dried coconut in the ice cream base as you age/chill it in the fridge (do strain it after though). I would definitely go with 2, and toast the coconut before steeping.

You could do that, but you would basically be making high fat coconut milk. I doubt the extract is worth considering.

Sean R

Coco, you got me thinking that toasted coconut would be a great mix-in for the recipe. Lots of ice creams try to add in a textural element. (Plain cinnamon ice cream could be weird, but churn in honey-roasted nuts and BOOM - it sounds great!)

If you're avoiding the coconut milk because it's hard to acquire, then consider mixing in (chilled) toasted coconut and upping the amount of ginger in the steeping process.

If you're avoiding the coconut because you dislike it, then you'll have mild ginger custard with a hint of rum. I'd be tempted to make a rum caramel sauce for drizzling in that case. :P

I think if you try to mix coconut in when churning, it will build up on the dasher and end up in clumps-you might be able to mix in by hand when the ice cream is done.