🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Simple Bolognese

44c28804 082e 4a15 aaa8 d325fe10eabb  food52 10 09 12 4094

I have a question about the recipe "Simple Bolognese" from Merrill Stubbs. Could I use canned crushed tomatoes opposed to whole?

asked by Jacob Crim over 1 year ago

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Merrill will probably respond to you on this. I find the crushed to be a little watery but it would probably be okay. there are so many variations to Bolognese I don' think it matters what type of tomato you use, they all taste good once it cooks down.

I make bolognese more times than I care to admit (not Merrill's version) and use either whole, chopped or crushed depending on what is in the pantry. If it is too liquidy I either let it cook longer or turn up the heat a bit. The thing with bolognese is it should cook slow and long and then it has the great, rich flavor. Unfortunately, I usually don't have the time so often do it quick and shorter.....just taste as you go and adjust.

B9e2cd01 0128 4183 a5a9 9847a9e8a23b  stringio

This makes me feel better. I am making this recipe for lasagna if that makes any difference at all. I just didnt want a random chunk of tomato somewhere in the finished product.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

Should be OK; the texture will be a little different. However, it seems to me that the better quality tomatoes are usually the ones canned whole, though it will depend on the brand. In particular, with the popular "Cento" brand the whole tomatoes are imported from Italy, while the diced and crushed (though I must say they're not bad) are domestic.

This almost like debating what type of clothespin is better. The point is that they both work. True Bolognese isn't really a tomato laden preparation anyway. The meat is the most important thing. Fresh vine ripe tomatoes are best, so work down from there. And just as a note, in Italy tomato puree tends to be much looser than the canned stuff you find here.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

How did it turn out Jacob?