🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Michael Ruhlman's Pasta with Tomato Water, Basil, and Garlic

Bcb38808 7b60 4b88 bfcd d6c612d9d13d  14784151680 5687dc752d b

I have a question about the recipe "Michael Ruhlman's Pasta with Tomato Water, Basil, and Garlic" from Genius Recipes. How far in advance can I prep the tomatoes for this recipe? (i.e. will I run into any problems if I leave the diced, salted tomatoes and basil sitting in a bowl for a few hours?)

asked by ariel a about 1 year ago

The tomatoes will be fine--perhaps better, even-- but the basil will likely turn black. I'd prep the tomatoes and add the basil 10 minutes or so before finishing the dish.

I've made this dish a few times and love it. In fact, thank you for reminding me. I haven't made it yet this year.

I did prep the tomatoes once just a couple of hours ahead of time (minus the basil) and I don't think it did the tomatoes any favors. They took on an almost canned tomato texture. It could have been the tomatoes themselves, but really, the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta seems like just the right amount of time to keep the tomatoes tasting wonderfully fresh.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

I've definitely seen other raw chunky tomato sauces like this that leave the tomatoes out in the salt and herbs for a few hours, but if you're concerned (or think it might be longer) you can stick it in the fridge and let it come back down to room temp. (Allegedly refrigerating doesn't affect the flavor or texture much, as long as you don't eat them still-chilled!)

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

I have done this. If you are really worried about them deteriorating, I have put them in a colander over a plate so the juices drain away.