A question about a recipe: Bill Smith's Atlantic Beach Pie

I have a question about the recipe "Bill Smith's Atlantic Beach Pie" from Genius Recipes. Turns out my pie pan is 9.5 inches, will my pie just be a bit shallow?

• Posted by: Jacob
  • August 26, 2016
B2c85ea9 09c3 497e bb9a b5d53041eb7c  14532063587 5f1fd1b946 h
Recipe question for: Bill Smith's Atlantic Beach Pie

702551
702551 August 26, 2016

Yes, I'm guessing by about 20-25%.

The crust will be a bit thinner as the same amount of dough needs to be spread out over a larger surface area, but since it is not a dough that you have to roll out, the handling shouldn't be particularly tricky. You might consider not filling the pie tin with the crust covering the lip or compensating by using more whipped cream to hide the gap.

Finally, it may bake faster; I'd start checking at the 10 minute mark.

Good luck.

Smaug August 27, 2016

I'd say the difference would be larger, not far from half again as big (you can't calculate exactly because of the shape)- you really need to adjust the recipe

Susan W August 27, 2016

An 8" pie pan holds about 4 cups liquid. A 9" holds 5 cups. The .5 additional inch of yours increases the volume even a little more.

If I were you, I'd go buy an 8". If you don't increase the recipe, the pie filling will be very thin. If you do increase it, it will be awkward because of the can of evaporated milk. You could increase it by 25% if you don't mind a leftover partial can of evaporated milk.

You could make Thai iced tea with the leftover milk.

Smaug August 27, 2016

Not so little as all that- area's a square function; a 9.5" circle is 11.4% larger than a 9"- because of the taper of the side, the volume would be slightly more difference than that.

Susan W August 27, 2016

I've baked many pies in my days both professionally and for family and friends. I personally found the .5" difference to not matter enough to increase the recipe. The 25% increase would suffice imo. That has been my experience.