A question about a recipe: Black Bean and Roasted Corn Salad

7b4dce6e edb2 4fc2 ac5a 212dea8cf8c8  blackbeansalad

I have a question about the recipe "Black Bean and Roasted Corn Salad" from Alexandra Stafford. Can you cut this reccipe for a smaller batch?

asked by Chris P-Sumner about 2 years ago

Sure.

To expand on that a bit- mostly where you run into trouble reducing recipes is either baking recipes, where the size and shape of the pan and how it's filled can have rather dramatic effect on how something bakes, and cases where quantities become impractical to deal with- eg, you can't puree 1/3 cup of something with an immersion blender, you can't get an accurate thermometer reading on a 1/2" deep puddle of boiling liquid- that sort of thing.

Alexandra Stafford

Yes, absolutely! You could easily halve the recipe with great success. One thought, however, if you are going through the trouble of cooking beans, I feel you may as well cook a pound. You can store the cooked beans in their cooking liquid in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer. Cooked beans are SO nice to have on hand. That said, you've got to do what's best for you.

Same thing with the roasted corn which I would grill instead of toast in the oven.

It takes no extra effort in grilling four ears of corn versus one or two; I find that there are plenty of uses of extra corn (one really doesn't want to keep raw ears of corn in the fridge anyhow, they just turn to starch).

You definitely could, but I agree with Alexandra Stafford that you might want to cook the full complement of beans and freeze half.
It does look like a delicious, sturdy salad that you could eat for lunch the next day, though, so a little extra wouldn't be a bad thing!

Alexandra Stafford

This does hold up so well in the fridge for days! I should note that in the recipe. Thanks!

Alexandra, I bet! If I made it for our family we'd finish it off. I'd probably keep scooping out more for myself after everyone else left the table.