A question about a recipe: Comfort Mash

4a6cce6e cc0d 11e5 8e0d 3c15c2d2bb38  37 full

I have a question about the recipe "Comfort Mash" from healthierkitchen. What can I substitute for celeriac in Comfort Mash

asked by Lisa Rikard Roll about 2 years ago

I haven't made this dish but the closest thing to celeriac (celery root) would be branch celery itself. Be sure to save the leaves to incorporate. There's a ton of flavor there.

That's about it- you might toss in a bit of ground celery seed if you have it; I think it captures a bit of the earthy tone you get with celeriac.

This is a smooth, comfort food type mash. Does celery not keep its stringy texture when mashed?

yes, and partly depends on whether you don't have celeriac or don't celeriac.
If just don't have, some combo of celery or celery seeds plus another root vegetable will work.
If you don't like the celery taste, go for parsnip, turnip, carrot and/or parsley root without the celery stalk or seeds.

argh!
1st sentence should end: "or don't like celeriac"

Don't worry about it; apparently, everything is a verb now.