A question about a recipe: Original Viennese Apple Strudel (Apfelstrudel)

D77bbd66 1b97 4b8b 88c2 c9ba08589ae8  2015 0106 veinenese apple strudel 345

I have a question about the recipe "Original Viennese Apple Strudel (Apfelstrudel)" from Ursula | Lil Vienna. Can this Apple Strudel recipe be frozen?

asked by ELCookie over 1 year ago

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

Hi ELCookie, over on the recipe author's blog (http://www.lilvienna.com...) someone asked about freezing the completed, but unbaked strudel, and this is her response:

"Honestly, I’ve never tried it, but I would guess no, it doesn’t work. I imagine that the apples will soak the dough. What you could do to keep all the work to a minimum on Christmas day is to make the dough ahead. It will keep well in the fridge for 2 or 3 days. Or what should also work is freezing the strudel when it is baked. But I’ve never tried that either – should work though ;-)
Hope this helps. Have fun baking!"

anka

I freeze mine. They go straight from freezer to the oven; I just have to bake 10-15 minutes longer.
I grate apples on cheese grater and squeeze some juice out and use ground walnuts and not breadcrumbs to adsorb extra moister.