A question about a recipe: Applesauce Cake with Caramel Glaze

Bc737f4b 3da7 44cf 8aa2 9890e4808afe  122010f 1001

I have a question about the recipe "Applesauce Cake with Caramel Glaze" from Merrill Stubbs. I would also like to make this pareve and substitute coconut milk for the heavy cream. For those that have already made this substitution, did you omit the butter or use margarine? Thanks in advance for the help.

asked by eakesin about 2 years ago

Funny, I'm making it today, too, but I don't have to make it parve. I think I'd probably use margarine, but can you test it first? I have no idea if margarine and coconut milk will make a decent caramel, but you could try it. Worst case, you could just dust the delicious cake with powdered sugar if the caramel doesn't work.

eakesin

Thank you for the suggestion. I noticed that one other commenter prepared the caramel glaze with coconut milk so I was curious if she (or others) used margarine or omitted it altogether. Happy baking!

No I have not made this one, but I have converted other recipes from dairy to parve.
I find it helpful sometimes to borrow a recipe that was built parve or vegan from scratch, rather than tinkering with an existing one. That way someone else has already done the testing and adjusting.
Here, for example, is a non-dairy caramel sauce...
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/how-to-make-caramel-sauce-without-dairy/
Hope this helps.
Happy new year!

eakesin

Thank you for the link, Nancy.
Happy New Year!